Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Long Haul




I get some of my best work done on a plane. There’s nothing like a long-haul flight to get some great thinking and writing done. I used to feel emotional on planes (perhaps related to the amount of wine I drank) but now I’m more emotional on land and when flying up above the clouds, I’m clear-headed. I’m writing this on the 12 hour flight from Colombo to London. I’ve just worked on a few work-related items that I’d been meaning to for ages. And that feels so good. Perhaps part of it is the fact that there’s no Internet connection or phone signal, as I am so distracted by that damn Google…

After the work stuff is done, crossing the world is a great place to take stock of your life (not to mention rediscover your iTunes). For me it usually marks a re-exposure to a significant change in a way of thinking as I’ve usually been in one part of the world which I find so different to the other part (East and West). And though they somewhat fit seamlessly together, in many ways they also don’t…  

No comments: