Thursday, August 13, 2009

mumbai meri jaan?

I like Mumbai despite:

- the feeling that really noisy buses and rickshaws are driving through my bedroom
- the fact that crossing the road is truly a petrifying experience. There is a genuine lack of traffic lights..
- the daily hardship and grind of life of millions smacks you in the face and enters your blood

So what is it I like about Mumbai?

- The dignity of the people is awe-inspiring
- My personal worries seem pretty unimportant
- I love my team at work – they rock, and the project brief is very exciting! We work hard but the atmosphere is good- professional, digital and creative. My favourite 3 words.
- Indians are some of the warmest, friendliest people alive – both wise and emotional
- I like being a foreigner but looking like an Indian and many things being in English- it’s a strange mix of being foreign and not being foreign (I’m Sri Lankan so I don’t speak Hindi..yes, yes Sri Lankan like MIA, and Murali)
- One of my best friends lives in this city and I’ve always wanted a stint here
- I have other friends from way back, who live here and I enjoy being part of their lives
- I have my own yoga teacher every day for a month for the cost of 1 group class in the UK.
- The food is gorgeous- daily, it is light and vegetarian
- Indians are very social- they like spending time together. In sharp contrast to life in the West which is more independent a.k.a lonely.

1 comment:

Sharif L abo said...

Good luck with your time in India not that you need much of it from what I have read so far. I was reading your blog article on wearesocial.net for something I was writing and followed your click trail to your blog!